Friday, January 31, 2020

1917

On Wednesday I saw 1917, starring George MacKay and Dean-Charles Chapman.

Two Lance Corporals (MacKay and Chapman) in the British army during World War I are sent by their general (Colin Firth, who disappointingly only appears only for a few minutes of the film) across the French countryside to stop an attack that will likely not end well for their people, if executed.

That's it. That's the whole film.

So, yes, despite the gorgeous cinematography and the haunting silences that befall our protagonists, the story drags on and on ... and on.

Only one "unexpected" thing happens along the way, a sure consequence of any war, but before and after that event, we see our share of corpses, explosions and worst of all, rats.

There's nothing enjoyable about this film for someone who's not a die-hard war buff. And there's really nothing that bonded me to either main character (in fact, I got most excited when seeing Firth, and Benedict Cumberbatch, who has a cameo later in the story). I have a feeling I'd have been more entertained by the story told to Director Sam Mendes by his grandfather, which inspired the film.

Of the Best Picture nominees, this doesn't come close to the top for me.

~~~


No comments: