Saturday, December 29, 2007

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Today I saw Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, starring John C. Reilly and Jenna Fischer.

It's the tale of Dewey Cox (Reilly), a Southern musician that alternately encompasses Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan and other notable stars, as he sings his way through life after a terrible childhood tragedy.

A tragedy that happens to be slicing his brother in half with a machete.

Sound stupid? Of course it does. But they way it was written and delivered makes it hilarious.

Dewey's enduring love for Darlene (Fischer) is the backbone of the bio, which takes us through his entire career of milestones and mistakes (the now-famous 'penis' scene is among the funniest). Each wink to another era and yet another star has such goofy charm attached to it I found myself anticipating who would pop up next (thankfully, my Beatles hope came true with the incomparable Jack Black as McCartney and Paul Rudd as Lennon).

The sidekicks are also funny—Tim Meadows as Dewey's primary drug connection, Kristen Wiig as his first wife and Margot Martindale as Ma, but the real credit goes to Reilly, who I found myself confusing with Will Ferrell (that's a compliment). He was that funny.

Overall, it's what I expected: a ridiculous beginning, predictably clever songs and electric nonsense chemistry between Reilly and Fischer.

I wouldn't have had it any other way.

No comments: