Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Hangover Part II

Last night I saw The Hangover Part II, starring Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms.

When I saw the first one a few years back, I went in with amazingly low expectations. It was a 'guy' movie with potential bathroom humor and I quite frankly wasn't interested. But the universal love for the film got me to the theater and I'll admit, I laughed my head off.

Fast forward to last night—two of my friends have declined seeing the movie with me (though I had free passes and they wouldn't have had to pay for their ticket). I'm told the second will "ruin" the first and asked why I'm even bothering to go.

Why? Because I like spending time with these characters.

Did I think it would be as great as the first? Of course not. But I don't go to a film like The Hangover Part II to have my life changed. I go to lose myself in the humor and enjoy the ride.

And that's just what I did.

After a slow start (the boys have to convince Stu (Helms) to invite Allen (Zach Galifianakis) to his wedding), the film soon picks up once the wedding party reaches Thailand.

Stu's soon-to-be father-in-law hates him, Allen hates Stu's soon-to-be brother-in law, Teddy, because he's compromising the bond of the Wolf Pack, and Stu is unbelievably paranoid about celebrating his last days of bachelorhood because of what happened last time.

Phil (Cooper) finds a solution in beer bottles that are sealed (so Stu can approvingly open them) and the boys settle in for an innocent campfire two nights before the big day.

When they wake up in Bangkok the fun really begins.

Stu has a large tattoo on his face, Allen's head is shaved and all that is left of Teddy is is severed finger, which they ultimately give to a drug-dealing monkey. I'm not kidding.

Mr. Chow (Ken Jeong), who kidnapped them in the first movie, is also back.

From here we see guns firing, cars chasing and more full-frontal male nudity than I've seen in any movie in recent years.

There are an abundance of laughs, though none as powerful or unexpected as the first film.

It's clear the actors love playing these characters and that's part of what makes them such a joy to watch.

If you're anticipating something greater or more over-the-top than the first film, you'll undoubtedly walk out disappointed, but if you just go in wanting to have a good time, I'm pretty sure you will.

~~~

No comments: